Thursday 29 November 2012

TWENTY-ONE KUSALA DAM DAYS: 2nd Sun Down

I was stupid enough to have a fill of laughter in camp today. Adults were behaving like children during the inauguration parade, and at some point, I was wondering whether I was the stupid one to find their acts funny, or they were really the stupid ones. It's 10:42pm on the 7th of July, and as I reflect and write on the activities of the day, I can't but help a couple of laughs, abstract enough to make the people around me think something could be wrong with my mental state. But overall, I did have a fulfilling day, if my expectations were to be considered. The height of it all, was when I met a bunch of guys from the Federal University of Technology, Minna. A lively bunch of dudes they were, and each one had a dose of laughter to dole. Not sure if I'd ever had a fill of sit-coms all my life as I did today.

I woke at 6:40am, ignoring the early morning bugle, summoning us to the parade ground, as I wasn't confirmed registered yet. I brushed in the open with other people staring, quite how odd it felt. I had Masa for breakfast from the mammy market, and finally got some place to take my bath. Atleast, I was getting acquainted with the geography of the camp ground. Then the bugle sounded, for us to gather and file for the swearing of oaths ceremony. I had managed to collect my khaki the night before, and still wondered what was going through their minds, when they were piecing together the apparels. Nothing wasn't left oversized and out of shape. Even the tailors who tried to make them bespoke, couldn't get them around to fit me.

At the parade ground, I made my first friend - Hosea Gana, a graduate of Physics. His friend Jey was from Jos, and was excited when I told him I had schooled in his native Jos. There was alot of protocols with the oath swearing parade, with the soldiers making a big deal of it, us, bothered more with the picture taking. You could see it from the faces of alot, that this was more of a milestone in their lives, than a new experience, in another part of their country. We then dispersed for lunch - mashed beans, on which I spread some garri to make a nice mix although the beans begged for a little more salt. Surprisingly, I ate with much gusto and was glad I didn't tell them to reduce the ration on the line.

Evening parade was at 4pm till 6, after which we were addressed by our Platoon Officer, talking about monetary contributions for inter-platoon competition and we taking it very serious. There was this selected Deputy Platoon Leader - Vicky, from Zuru who was getting in to my "likes" book. I quickly left the parade ground, and set off for an audition with the OBS -  Orientation Broadcasting Service. I was auditioning to be on the editorial and reporting department. Bumped in to a couple of lovely ladies from Lagos, who were no finding the sun here in Kano funny. Then I met a couple of Jossites, and wanted to scream out loud for finding 'kindred'. Gift talked with me more, probably finding fascination with my stories. She'd had a couple of laughs anyways. Her friend looked on, her mind focused more on something outside the camp than in it. I was already liking Gift's smiles though. They were always from ear to ear. I sent Egbo an sms, and she replied complaining of lack of sleep and all. I got a call from Jos, to learn that Ugo was finally getting back with her boyfriend after a few days of standoff. I wanted her to hold off for a few more days, but I guess she didn't have enough resolve either. I concluded, they both were just feeble hearted kids in love.

Lights went out at 11:42pm, just before I finished writing this. I had used phone calls and Carlos all the way in Liberia to strike a deal, which had me happy before going off to bed

No comments:

Post a Comment